Till 6 months babies are given breastmilk and not offered any water / food hence it becomes difficult for you to find any natural remedies especially for first time Moms. Most of the common cold lasts for about a week or two and can be followed by cough. We get so worried when baby coughs as it tends to make them vomit. But it seems vomiting is fine as that’s the only way babies can take out the mucus and also through their poop. In case of extreme vomiting / if baby is unable to feed / have fever/ unable to breathe/ crying a lot please check with pediatrician.
Here are some remedies that you can do to help your baby when they have cold and cough:
- Breastmilk: Feed baby breastmilk frequently to keep them hydrated which will help to reduce the discomfort and congestion for baby.
- Nasal spray: If baby’s nose is stuffy then you can use nasal spray. It will be a challenging task to put nasal spray or drops on baby’s nose but it helps to clear the congestion quickly. You can buy nasal spray from medical store or it can be made at home. It’s basically saline water and does not cause any harm.
How to use Saline drops / Spray:
- Hold the baby in your lap in upright or slightly reclined position with baby head resting on your arm.
- Put 2-3 drops in one nostril and wait for few seconds. Repeat the same in the other nostril. Tilt the baby head little backwards just to allow the drops to go inside the nose and hold it back straight.
- Keep a cloth in hand to wipe the excess saline and the mucus.
- If the nose is still congested use a suction bulb to clear baby’s nose.
3. Suction bulb: Helps to clear babies’ nose when its congested. After using Saline drops you can use the suction bulb to squeeze out the mucus.
How to use Suction bulb:
- Keep the Suction bulb away from the baby and squeeze it to take the air out.
- Place the tip of the bulb as per the mark or the instruction provided with the suction bulb on the baby nostril.
- Slowly release the bulb and it will release the extra saline and mucus.
- Repeat the same in another nostril
- Do not use suction bulb too many times a day as it might irritate babies. I prefer not to use saline drops more than 3 times a day as sometimes it can dry baby’s nose. Use only when its required.
- Clean the suction bulb immediately after use.
4. Steam: It helps in loosen up the mucus but for babies it has to be done with care.
How to use Steam for babies:
- Keep the Steam Vapouriser away from the baby.
- You can hold the baby facing away from the steamer and to be careful just ask another person to hold a cloth or towel near to the steamer so that direct steam does not go to the baby. Sit in the closed room for 15-20 minutes and it will help to reduce cold and provide relief.
- You can also steam the bathroom by filling a bucket with hot water and hold the baby and sit away from the bucket.
5. Mustard oil: Massaging baby with mustard oil is a traditional method and has many benefits.
- Boil mustard oil with one or two garlic in low heat.
- Once the oil is warm, massage the oil on baby’s chest and the foot. Helps to keep the baby warm and fight cold and cough.
6. Keep a towel rolled up under the mattress to keep the baby head little raised while sleeping, this helps them to breathe.
7. Humidifier: Placing a humidifier in room will moisten the air and reduce the cough. Replace the water daily to prevent any bacteria.
8. Keep the house clean to make sure no dust is irritating the baby.
9. Wipe the baby’s nose with a warm cloth and you can also place a warm cloth on the baby’s nose for few seconds to loosen up the mucus and also to clean the surrounding of nose.
10. Encourage baby to take rest.
These are the remedies that I came across when my baby caught cold. If you know any other remedies please share in the comment section. It will be very helpful for all the New Parents😊