Travelling with infant can be overwhelming especially if it’s your first time. My baby girl first flight was when she was 2 and half months old. Doctors usually recommend to wait for at least 3-6 months for the baby immune system to develop before air travel. Especially during pandemic, it’s not safe to travel but if its unavoidable then always good to consult with a pediatrician and follow safety measures.
Here are somethings I would like to share which can make your travel easier:
- Reduce hand baggage as much as possible: Not only hand baggage but try to reduce the overall luggage. While packing try to carry only needed things. Try to courier the things that you will not need immediately. This will make your travel easier. On our first travel, we did a mistake of taking overweight baggage and had to pay lot extra for it. Also, carried 3 back bags along with the baby it was really exhausting.
- Baby carrier: Wear the baby in a baby carrier or a baby sling so that you can be hands free. If you will be using the baby carrier for the first time, its always better to try it on with the baby and see how it works before your travel day. When my baby was 2 months old, I took her in a sleeping bag so I could not carry anything else except a diaper bag. In my second travel, I used a baby carrier, I could carry 1 laptop bag, camera bag and diaper bag with me and it was not exhausting.
- Security check at Airport: Security check might be different in every airport. My first travel I carried baby in sleeping bag and the security person did not make me wait for long and helped me first. My second travel I used baby carrier and a kind girl helped me to keep my bags in the checking area tray. She even asked the security check person to help me first as I am carrying baby. But when I walked in to the security check place the security asked me to go back and put the baby carrier in the tray. I had never practiced taking out baby by myself from the baby carrier, I was too scared that I will put the baby down but it went well and was not that difficult.
- Extra diapers: Carry in diaper bag only the number of diapers that baby needs with a 1 or 2 extras.
- Baby wipes: Take baby wipes with you its very useful in cleaning baby and also you can use for yourself. Hand wash is not available in most of the baby care rooms, they are replaced with sanitizers now.
- Baby clothes and Towels: Take 2 or 3 extra clothes and towels incase baby vomits or overflow of diapers.
- Extra cloth for yourself: Carry an extra dress for you incase gets dirty.
- Blankets/ swaddles: A small baby blanket to cover the baby if it gets cold while travelling.
- Socks and Gloves: Take an extra pair of baby socks and gloves. Babies will suck their fingers hence to keep them clean its better to have a change of gloves.
- Cover baby in layers: Before you travel it can be hot and when you are travelling it can be cold. Instead of directly putting warm clothes on baby, it’s always better to first make them wear something light and then add a layer of another clothing if it becomes cold. In my first travel I did a mistake of putting on a thick sleepwear for my baby as the flight travel will be cold. But once we reached our destination the climate was hot. This made her to get red bumps on her legs, which took at least 2 weeks to clear up.
- Toys: Keep a small toy for your baby in your hand bag/ diaper bag, take something which your baby likes to keep them happy.
- Feeding: It is said that don’t feed the baby before boarding flight but its better to feed them before boarding if they are hungry or else you will have to handle a fussy baby throughout your travel. If possible, schedule your feeding so that you will be able to feed the baby while take off and landing to help them swallow to avoid the ear pain. This worked for my baby in my first travel when she was only 2 months old. I fed her during takeoff and she was sleeping in most of the travel. But did not work in my second travel, she was all playing while takeoff and she cried when I tried to feed. I just left her to play but before landing she started crying out so loud. The flight attendant asked me to keep speaking to the baby as she was crying due to ear pain. She calmed down after around 10 minutes.
- Stay hydrated: All the mommies make sure you eat well and drink lots of water during your travel. Also keep your baby hydrated.
- Pre book cabs: If you have the option to pre-book the cabs in your destination then do it, this will help you to avoid the waiting time and to avoid the last minute cab troubles.
Since I was on maternity leave, I was staying with my parents at Delhi for few months now. I had my mother to help me look after the baby, I did not have to cook 😁, My dad who cooks my favorite dishes and special biryanis… Now that I think of it, I rarely did any housework. Sadly, my leave has almost come to an end, have to join work on Oct 14th. Me and my husband are back to Hyderabad. Its only 2 days now but it’s been too hectic with all the unpacking, arranging and cleaning. With just two of us doing all the work… now I know it’s not an easy task to do housework plus looking after the baby. Hopefully things will get settled a bit once the organizing is done. Specially I have to maintain a schedule for doing things… These two days everything was messy and delayed. Its going to be a completely new experience… hopefully a good one 👸(Being positive)
In the coming weeks I plan to share any new tips and my travel ✈ experience with baby . There were somethings which I did not know as a new Mom and I have learned now. Looking forward to share those tips with you soon. 😊
About the product
Promotes the development of vital biologically protective acid mantle
Protection against noxious influences
pH 5.5, ideal for healthy skin
Supports the natural protective barrier function against dryness and irritation
Panthenol promotes regeneration
I tried Sebamed cream on my baby when she had red bumps on her skin. This cream has a thick consistency and more oily.. mostly cause its a cream and not a lotion. When I tried to rub the cream in my hands first it had a very hard feel.. after applying on baby skin it makes the skin shiny.. cause of the oil. But I did not like this cream because its hard and thick. It has a very medicated smell ..did not like that at all. This cream did not cause any breakouts but I don’t like the feel of this cream. I tried it on my skin ( which I should have tried before applying to my baby) and I felt it to be too oily type. Sebamed products are good as it balances the pH level but this cream did not work for my baby.
My baby girl has been suffering from cold and cough for the past few days. Seeing her suffer feels so terrible. Past few days had been busy. Hugging her, being there with her, noting all the medications and giving to her on time. Lots to follow – cannot give medicine after feeding and then taking her from sleep and giving medicine (forgetting to give some of them). All the changing of cloths after she vomits, fighting with her hands to put that nasal spray. Calming her, singing to her, making her sleep and jumping out of bed when I hear any sound. Now she’s recovering and its my turn to be sick. Since Yesterday I am down with cold and horrible throat pain but that’s fine as long as baby gets well. You feel so helpless when your tiny one is not well, when all you can do is hug them when they are sick as you never know if they are in pain.
Today she stepped into 5 Months. I am so grateful and thankful to God for bringing her to this world and keeping her safe.
To my baby girl:
It seems like yesterday you were born
Time flies and you are soon 5 months old
Can’t have enough of your laughter and cries
Its so fun playing with you
I never get tired of taking care of you
I know I am a lazy one but I will do everything for you
You make me realize that I have lot to improve
To the world you may not be perfect but for me you are most perfect and beautiful
You bring more happiness each day in my life
Love you lots, Hugs and Kisses
About the product:
Fragrance free, Paraben free, phthalate free
Protects the skin from dryness with its Natural Oatmeal formula
Protects the baby skin and keeps it moisturized for 24 hours.
This lotion does not have any fragrance and it’s a good thing for baby’s skin as well as for baby’s sensitive nose. The lotion feels smooth and silky. Its not greasy at all and it has a soft feel. You just need to apply a very little amount of this lotion to remove dryness. It does keeps skin moisturized for 24 hours. Does not clog pores so no breakouts or bumps on baby’s skin. It is costly if compared with some of the other baby lotions but this lotion lasts for long so cost won’t be a problem. Overall, a very good lotion for babies especially because its cruelty free and it’s recommended by Pediatricians.